Surface Installation Basics
- Window scraper/razor
- Nitrile gloves
- Glass cleaner
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Microfiber towels
- Liquid glass polish (optional)
- 18 Gauge Electrical wires
- Neutral glass silicone (Silglaze, Dow Corning or similar)
- Microfiber towels
- Wire stripper
- Soldering iron
- Lead-free solder
- Trim of your choice (non-conductive)
- Do NOT use water or any other liquids for installation other than for cleaning beforehand.
- The installation surface must be clean and dry.
- We recommend the outer dimensions of the film be 1/8″ shorter than the glass around all edges.
- The electrical contact strip and leads should NEVER come into contact with any metal frame, trim, or surrounding objects. The finished trim should be nonconductive. Always ensure the completed project is trimmed with nonconductive materials and that all exposed wires, leads, etc. are covered sufficiently to eliminate the possibility of electrical shock or fire. We are not responsible for improper installations and highly recommend professional installation.
Provide us the width and height we will confirm the pre-wiring location after payment is received.
Do not remove protective liner until you are ready to install Never curve, bend or fold smart film Take particular care with the edges to avoid de-lamination Always wear Nitrile gloves when handling the PriWatt smart film.
Clean the glass until is very clean, without any impurity, and make sure that the surrounding environment is very clean too. If the film or the glass is not clean enough, you may have some bubbles problems after installation.
Take off 20 to 30mm of the protecting layer from the “stick” side of the film and stick the film onto the glass surface. As you take off the protecting layer, you can apply the film and use a vinyl scraper to get rid of air bubbles. Do not remove the whole protection layer before applying the film to the glass.
[The film itself comes with an electrostatic absorption layer on the stick side film. You cannot use any water or chemical materials for installation. Chemicals or water can damage the electrostatic layer resulting on the non- adhesiveness of the film on the glass].
After the sticking is done properly, connect the wires from the copper connector parts by soldering with an iron. Then strip off the protecting plastic layer on the other side of the film by using adhesive tape on the surface. Connect the controllers by strictly following the wiring connection diagram and then test.
You can use Plastic or other Insulation materials to protect the copper connector parts. For all edges, we strongly suggest applying a very thin layer of non-conductive glass silicone or a 3M glue tape for protection. If not, the edges of the film may delaminate with time.
Don’t use water or any other chemicals to wash, install or touch the edges of the film.
- The Smart film should be 2 – 3 mm shorter than the glass to avoid direct contact with the frame.
- Strictly follow the wiring connection guide we offer before testing the film. If any problems arise from a high voltage, it will not be under warranty.
- Strictly use the silicones required to avoid the delamination of the smart film.
Standard Wiring Diagram
WARNING – Do not substitute a higher fuse rating! The fuse rating is critical to properly protect Smart Privacy Film panels and the transformer.
CAUTION: PriWatt Smart Film operates at a 48VAC-55VAC and 50Hz. Higher voltage and frequency may cause permanent damage.
Troubleshooting and electrical service must be performed by a Certified Electrician who has read and understood this document.
Switch the power ON. Verify that the PriWatt Films turn clear. If one or more PriWatt Films are not operating:
- Check the circuit breaker to verify power. If there is no power from the circuit breaker, reset or replace the circuit breaker.
- Check the wall switch to verify power. If there is no power from the wall switch check the connection or replace the wall switch.
- Check input to the power supply of affected panels to verify power. If there is no input power to the transformer, check the wiring between the wall switch and the transformer.
- Check output from the transformer to the affected smart films to verify power. If there is no output power from the transformer, the fuse may have blown. Replace fuse with the same size and specifications, which is available at electronic supply stores.